New to the Collection

Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage: Using the records kept by mixed Indian and African-American colonies located in South, Central, and North America, the author traces the development and contributions of these biracial societies, which formed as a result of white oppression.


Black Indian genealogy research: In 1907, the Indian Territory became the State of Oklahoma. To qualify for the payments and land allotments set aside for the Five Civilized Tribes, the former slaves of these nations had to apply for official enrollment, thus producing testimonies of immense value to today’s genealogists. The book shows where to find and how to use the Indian Freedman Records, discusses Black Indians and Tri-Racial groups from the Upper South, and has added two lists of family names: Freedman Surnames from the Final Rolls of the Five Civilized Tribes, and Surnames of Tri-Racial families of the South


[Dingman family : family record]: This work concentrates on Morley and Cotton family members in Athens, PA. Munn family members in Bradford County, PA. Dingman family members in PA.


[Kreitlow family : family record]: This work concentrates on 4 separate families: Kreitlow, Timm, Schmidt, Loll


Memories are renewed since we last met : 25th class reunion, Holiday Inn, August 11, 1973: Description based on booklet from 25th class reunion of the class of 1948 held on August 11, 1973.

Includes 1973 address list of class members

New York State barge canal system : Cayuga-Seneca, Oswego, Erie and Champlain Canals:

“Aids to navigation corrected to 3 Aug 1965”



[McLaughlin family history]:

Photocopies, charts, articles, and photos in 3-ring binder. James McLaughlin (1800-1858) of County Donegal Ireland, Hannah McLaughlin, County Donegal Ireland (1805-1861). Allied names: Luedeman, McCarty, Harrison, Bixby, Bulkley, Brion, Buckley, Frost, Harrison, HendrickMelville, VanNortwick, and many others.
This work concentrates on McLaughlin family members in Corning, New York State.

[Baker family history]: Photocopies, charts, articles, and photos in 3-ring binder. The Baker Family of the Southern Tier of NY:. Steuben, Tompkins, Schuyler, and Chemung Counties. This work concentrates on Baker family members in Steuben County and surrounding areas in New York State

Vanderpool newsletter

Old Sussex Almanack : newsletter of the Sussex County Historical Society

Japan through American Eyes: “From the Cleveland Public Library, John G. White Collection of Orientalia.”  Francis Hall lived in Elmira. Click HERE for the link to the collection of his papers housed a the Chemung County Historical Society. Francis Hall is also the subject of an article in the latest issue (as of Feb 2018) of the Chemung Historical Journal.



[Vincent family] / Vincent, K.R.: Three-ring binder contains historical and biographical material pertaining to members of the Vincent family descended from William Vincent (1729-1807) of Rhode Island.

[Ellison family history]: Photocopies of in 3-ring binder. This binder contains photocopies of genealogical material pertaining to the Ellison family of Steuben and Schuyler Counties in New York State, descended from Thomas Ellison Jr and Sarah Hoag of Hornby NY. Ancestors of the Ellison line with the surnames Parker and Miller are also included. The Parker line begins with John and Elizabeth Low Parker of Rhode Island. The Miller Line begins with Thomas and Martha Combs Miller of Steuben NY. The connecting ancestors are Catherine L. Parker Miller (b. 1893) of Steuben County NY and Viola Catherine Miller Ellison (b. 1914) of Schuyler County NY.

[Seeley family letters.]  Looseleaf binder contains letters and photocopies of genealogical material pertaining to the Seeley family of England, Connecticut, New York (State) and Pennsylvania.



[Lain family reunions and scrapbook]: Photocopies, photos, and newspaper clippings in 3-ring binder. This work concentrates on Lain family members originating with William Lain in Orange county in New York State.



New to the Collection: February 2018

Christ Lutheran Church, Murrysville, Westmoreland County; a.k.a. Hankey’s Church; parish records 1796-1884 part I

St. John’s Reformed Cemetery, Harrolds, Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, 1890-1999

Westmoreland County history : from a Mt. Pleasant Township perspective

The student guide with the Indian supplement for the Richard’s atlas of New York State.

The descendants of Andrew Eisaman (1768-1884) [sic] and Catherine Schuck (1778-1868)

First Reformed Church, United Church of Christ; Greensburg, Westmoreland County, parish records, part 1, 1819-1876

Notices by German and Swiss settlers seeking information of members of their families, kindred, or friends : inserted between the years 1742 and 1761 in the Pennsylvanische Berichte, and between the years 1762 and 1779 in the Pennsylvanische Staatsbote

A short history of Westmoreland county : the first county west of the Appalachians

The German immigrant in America : F.W. Bogen’s guidebook

Woman’s roots : the history of women in Tompkins County

Ithaca : a brief history

The Germans in colonial times

True stories of Elmira, New York, Volume 2

St. John’s Reformed Church : (now St. John’s United Church of Christ), Mt. Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, parish records, 1821-1960

Zion Lutheran Church, Germano, German Township, Harrison County, Ohio : parish records, 1805-1945

Church records of the Upper Milford Reformed Congregation now the Zion’s Reformed Church at Zionsville, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania (1757-1809) from the library of Dr. and Mrs. Glenn P. Schwalm

Historical publications of William Arter Zundel, 1878-1949 : articles concerning the history of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, with particular attention to the Sewickley Settlements, centering at Harrolds in Hempfield Township, begun in 1760

Indiana County, PA cemeteries : plus History of Brush Valley Lutheran Church

The journal of Pastor Gabriel Adam Reichert : for the years 1822 through 1837 as the Lutheran pastor in Indiana and Armstrong counties, and missionary in Clarion, Mercer, Clearfield, Crawford, Jefferson, Venango and Huntington counties in western Pennsylvania


Venango County, Pennsylvania, cemetery records and early church histories


[Martin and Carstarphen : family histories]

[Stickler family history]

[Tallon family history]

[LaForte family history]

[Robbins/Robins family history]

[Vincent family]

Elmira pamphlets and clippings

[Eggleston family : family record]

St. John’s Reformed Church, Harrolds; Hempfield Township Westmoreland County; parish records

Denmark Manor Lutheran Church, Franklin township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania : later known as St. John’s Lutheran Church, Boquet, parish records

Listing of inhabitants in 1778 : Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

The descendants of Wilhelm Altman, 1630-1682 of Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania

Knox centennial : 1876-1976

History of Old Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church : in Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, near Harrold’s

Hempfield Zion Lutheran Church, Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County : parish records, 1880-1955

[Scheibner family : family record]

[Wheeler family : family record]

Venango County, Pennsylvania, cemetery records and early church histories

St. John’s Lutheran Church, Mt. Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County

Brush Creek Reformed Church, Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County

Zion Church Lutheran and Reformed; East Huntingdon Township, Westmoreland County; parish records 1778-1884

Mount Union Lutheran Church, Elderton, Plum Creek twp., Armstrong co. : parish records

St. Jacob’s Lutheran and Reformed Church, South Bend, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania : parish records 1820-1885

Harrold Zion Lutheran Church, Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County : parish records

The Reformed and Lutheran congregations in Plumcreek Township, Armstrong County : later known as St. Thomas Reformed Church and Christ Lutheran Church of Gastown, parish records, 1826-1867

Early German Reformed Churches; northern Westmoreland County, southern Armstrong County, 1822-1859; pastoral records of William E. Weinel

Brush Valley Lutheran Church : Brush Valley Township, Indiana County, Pennsylvania : parish records

St. Paul’s, Seanor, Church Lutheran : Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County parish records

St. John’s Lutheran Church, Boquet, Penn Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania : parish records

Irish Birth Records online


Citizens Information:

The Citizens Information Board is the statutory body which supports the provision of information, advice and advocacy on a broad range of public and social services.

It is a legal requirement in Ireland that a record be kept of each birth, marriage and death that occurs in the State. Up to 5 December 2005, these events were recorded locally in the district where they occurred. Since that date they can be recorded in any Registrar’s District. Records of all births, marriages and deaths are held nationally in the General Register Office, the central civil repository for records relating to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Ireland.

The Civil Registration Act 2004 changed some of the rules about registering a birth or death. These changes took effect from 5 December 2005. They took effect for marriages from 5 November 2007

Irish Genealogy: is a website dedicated to helping people search for family history records for past generations. The website is now home to the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths of the General Register Office. These records join the Indexes to the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths that were already available on the website.

At present, the genealogy landscape can seem confusing so the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht has concentrated on the development of some additional search functionality for by way of providing a portal or search facility for digital genealogy records.

Visitors will be able to search records from a number of on-line sources including the historic Registers and Indexes to the Civil Registers of Births, Marriages and Deaths, the Church Records already available on, and others such as the 1901 and 1911 Census and Soldiers wills, to name but a few.

Further information on how to research family history in Ireland is contained in the section Research in Ireland.


Catholic Parish Registers at the NLI:

In 1949, Dr Edward MacLysaght, Chief Herald of Ireland and Keeper of Manuscripts at the National Library of Ireland, approached the Bishop of Limerick offering the NLI’s services to help in the permanent preservation of the genealogical information contained within the Catholic Church’s collection of parish registers. The NLI’s offer to microfilm parochial registers was taken up by every member of the Hierarchy. Although civil registration of births, marriages and deaths began in 1864, records were not accurately kept for a number of years, so a cut-off date of 1880 was applied for the microfilming of registers.

Church registers of marriage and baptism are considered to be the single most important source for family history researchers prior to the 1901 census. In many cases, the registers contain the only surviving record of particular individuals and families. It is a testament to the role and work of the Catholic Church in Ireland that so many registers were created and maintained during some of the most turbulent times in Irish history.

With growing numbers of people engaged in family history research and limited on-site facilities at the NLI in Dublin, the decision was taken in 2010 to digitize the parish register microfilms. Following a tender process, the contract for digitiz


ation was awarded to AEL Data who converted 550 microfilm reels, containing over 3500 registers into approximately 373,000 digital images. These images correspond to a page or two-page opening within a register volume.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

New to the Collection January 2018

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

New to the Genealogy and Local History Collection

Bradford County Area Key: a guide to the genealogical records of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, including maps, charts, histories and other helpful materials

The Mountain Roars: Written as a supplement to early histories of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, this work covers “dwellings and personalities of a later period, gleaned from old-timers” knowledgeable in the history of the Armenia Mountain region of Pennsylvania

Caton’s Sesquicentennial 1840-1990

The Fleming Family

By Reason of Strength: Tales of Long Ago: Local History and Genealogy of Bradford and Tioga Counties in PA.

Fifty Years on the Frontier with the Dutch Congregation at Maghaghkamik (Port Jervis, N.Y.)




Accessible Archives: Databases at CCLD

Get to know our databases:

Through our webpage,, users can access–for free– Accessible Archives.

Of particular interest is their collection of digitized African-American Newspapers, including “Published by the African Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States, for the Dissemination of Religion, Morality, Literature and Science.” in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Christian Recorder (1861–1902)
The Colored American (1837–1841)
Frederick Douglass’ Paper (1851–1855; 1859–1863)
Freedom’s Journal (1827–1829)
The National Era (1847–1860)
The North Star (1847–1851)
Provincial Freeman (1854–1857)
Weekly Advocate (1837–1837)
The Freedmen’s Record (1865-1874)
The Negro Business League Herald (1909)

The collection provides a great number of early biographies, vital statistics, essays and editorials, poetry and prose, and advertisements all of which embody the African-American experience.


A collection of interest for people researching WWI is American Military Camp Library-YMCANewspapers. This collection provides users with unparalleled access to unique sources covering the experiences of American soldiers during the mobilization period in 1916, in the trenches in 1918 and through the occupation of Germany in 1919.

Accessible Archives also has a huge collection of American County Histories. american-counties-200w-white

These books include chapters with detailed coverage of local history, geology, geography, weather, transportation, lists of all local participants in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, government, the medical and legal professions, churches and ministers, industry and manufacturing, banking and insurance, schools and teachers, noted celebrations, fire departments and associations, cemeteries, family histories, health and vital statistics, roads and bridges, public officials and legislators, and many additional subject areas.

The full-text search capability of the American County Histories database permits the student/researcher to explore all the publications of a particular county by using a single query. In addition, those wishing to read or browse the text on a page by page basis may do so in the original format merely by scrolling down the screen and then continuing to the next chapter. The Table of Contents is hyperlinked to each chapter as well as to each individual illustration. The user can select a particular graphic from the List of Illustrations and proceed immediately to it by clicking on the highlighted text.

American County Histories is currently divided into nine groupings: Central, Mid-Atlantic Part 1, Mid-Atlantic Part 2, Midwest, New England Part 1, New England Part 2, Southeastern, The Southwest, and The West.

Due to the large amount of available material, New York and Pennsylvania are each further divided into regions. Each part of the entire collection contains pages of text, plates and maps from all counties.

New to the Collection: October 2017

New to the Genealogy and Local History Collection:

LOCAL AUTHORS (Circulating book):

The Amazing Journey of Johnny Thumbnail by John Spaziani.

The Amazing Journey of Johnny Thumbnail is a children’s nature book that helps kids understand the importance of preserving our environment. Follow along with tiny Johnny Thumbnail as he journeys with animal friends to find someone who can help him save the environment and natural world.


If you’d like to check this title out, we do have circulating copies here:

Life in the Treetops by Margaret Lowman

Forest canopies have been characterized as one of the last biotic frontiers on Earth: tree crowns have been difficult to study scientifically because access to them has been so challenging. During the past two decades, however, methods for canopy access have greatly improved. In this book a pioneer canopy scientist describes the mysteries of the treetops―their inhabitants, flowers and fruits, growth and mortality, patterns of diversity, and plant and animal interactions. Margaret Lowman writes about different canopy access techniques in conjunction with the scientific hypotheses she was addressing while using each one. She also portrays the life of a field biologist from a woman’s perspective: what it was like to juggle a demanding career with marriage, housewifery, motherhood, and single parenthood.
The chapters are organized chronologically, starting with Lowman’s early days with ropes in Australia and progressing to the use of a cherry picker to access the canopies of eucalypt trees while she was pregnant, research by hot-air balloon in Africa, and building treetop walkways in the temperate forests of Massachusetts and in the tropical rain forests of Belize. The book also includes a lovely array of line drawings and halftones.



YEARBOOKS (Reference):

Southside High School 1946 yearbook

Southside High School Class of 1947 50th Reunion


Local History (Reference):

Railroads Remembered by Ian G. Mackenzie

This book describes the history of almost every railroad company that ever operated between 1829 and today in western New York and western Pennsylvania.

ON THIS DAY: August 23, 1917 in Elmira NY

On this day 100 years ago, 38 local men were exempted from service, L. Gray was looking for his wife Florence, Elmirans were sick of politics in general while Mayor Hoffman was sick of being mayor specifically, and you could buy a delivery wagon for $905.  (Articles from the Elmira Star Gazette, 23 Aug 1917).




New to the Collection


The Vincent family : descendants of Adrian Vincent by Vincent, Anna M. (Anna Mabbett), 1890-1954.  Adrian Vincent lived in New Amsterdam, New York between 1653 and 1674. Descendants lived in New York, New England, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and elsewhere

Josiah B. Vrooman (Vroman) : his ancestors and descendants by Laura Vrooman Randall. Peter Meuse Vrooman (d.1684) immigrated from Holland to Albany, New york, and married Volkje Pieterse Stavast, widow of Gerrit Jansen Stavast, in 1675. Two brothers, Jacob Meuse Vrooman and Hendrick Meuse Vrooman, immigrated with Peter. Descendants and relatives of the three brothers lived in New York, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Washington and elsewhere.

The galley : a publication of the Clan Macneil Association of America  img_5544.jpg

George and Ruth Castle : our family’s journey, 1613-2016  by Sharon Castle with the Castle Genealogy Project Work Group, 2017.  George Castle (b.1896) married Ruth Fletcher (b. 1896). This book traces their ancestors and their Quaker heritage in the New World. IMG_5545

Local Cookbooks

Nothin’ like a muffin : favorite recipes. By SHHH (Self-Help for hard of Hearing People) of Corning-Painted Post 1987


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Local Authors

Burning silk by Destiny Kinal from Waverly NY.
This is a circulating book located in our 2nd floor Local Authors Collection.
“In the sensuous and erotic lineage of Anaïs Nin, Marguerite Duras, and Carole Maso, Destiny Kinal has crafted her debut novel, Burning Silk, to transport the reader. From the first page, we plunge into the rarified and privileged atmosphere of an early-nineteenth-century French perfumerie on the Cote d’Azur, where fragrance scientists cross the threshold into the invisible world of pheromones, hoping to plumb those secrets in the person of the young silk maîtresse Catherine Duladier. A decade later, in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, we witness Catherine’s disciplined but desperate attempts to keep her closely held secret from rising to the surface in the pressure cooker of her family’s new silk magnanerie, where silkworms transform mulberry into the cocoon of metamorphosis and Catherine is forced to recognize that love without truth is violence. Will Catherine be able to ward off threats to her French Huguenot family’s dreams of a successful business venture in the New World?”

New to the Genealogy Collection–August 2017



Federal Stewardship of Confederate Dead

Civil War-era national cemeteries were created to bury Union dead. But the U.S. government was also responsible for Confederate dead–most associated with prisoner-of-war camps. This cultural resource study examines 9 all-Confederate cemeteries and 9 national cemeteries containing the greatest number of Confederate graves. The 311-page book contains 245 illustrations.


Also available online as a free PDF download:


White Pennsylvania Runaways 1720-1749

“Little-known fact: in colonial America, indentured whites, comprised of convicts, vagabonds, exiles, redemptioners, the kidnapped, runaways, and the willing servants hoping for a better life by serving out a period of servitude being purchased by colonial masters than by remaining in their traditional European societies, preceded and exceeded the black slavery population in all the colonies up until the American Revolution…Mr. Boyle has compiled notices of white runaways from local newspapers of the day. None were in publication before 1720. Many newspapers were read through, some of which were The Boston Gazette, The Pennsylvania Gazette, The New-England Courant, and The New-York Evening Post, among several others. Also, a list of further reading is included for those who wish to research further.”

–Excerpt from Book Review by Dick Eastman of Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter



Cook’s world tour around Elmira; a collection of choice recipes from many lands

Published in 1950 by the International Club of the Elmira YWCA.


Holy Family Junior High Yearbooks 1993 and 1994